Posted: 04 Oct 2012 07:47 AM PDT
89%: Percentage of cancer research "landmark papers" from "top journals" which could not be replicated (47 out of 53).1
417: Number of citations for the 47 unreproducible papers.1
36%: Percentage of scientists who admit engaging in questionable research practices or fraud.2
$216,884: Amount of an NSF grant to study "Why politicians make vague statements".3
75%: Percentage of retracted drug studies which were due to fraud.4
32%: Percentage of retracted papers that are never noted as being retracted.5
$500,000: Cost of investigating a single instance of scientific misconduct.6
>50% of claimed research findings are false.7
86%: Percentage of scientists who admit to witnessing their peers commit fraud or questionable research practices.2
$1,600,000,000: Taxpayer dollars spent on alternative medicine research such as the effect of magnets on arthritis and whether lavender and lemon scents promote healing.8
15%: Percentage of research trainees who said they'd be willing to omit or fabricate data to win a grant or publish a paper.9
47%: Percentage of addiction researchers who reported knowledge of research misconduct.10
$100,000,000: Direct cost of scientific misconduct in the U.S. per year.6
1) Begley & Ellis Nature 483, 531–533, 2012
2) Fanelli D (2009) How Many Scientists Fabricate and Falsify Research? A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Survey Data. PLoS ONE 4(5): e5738.
4) Samp JC, Schumock GT, Pickard AS. Retracted publications in the drug literature. Pharmacotherapy. 2012 Jul;32(7):586-95
5) Steen, R.G., J Med Ethics doi:10.1136/jme.2010.040923
6) Michalek AM, Hutson AD, Wicher CP, Trump DL (2010) The Costs and Underappreciated Consequences of Research Misconduct: A Case Study. PLoS Med 7(8): e1000318.
7) Ioannidis, J. P. A. (2005). "Why Most Published Research Findings Are False". PLoS Medicine 2 (8): e124.
9) Kalichman MW, Friedman PJ (1992): A pilot study of biomedical trainees' perceptions concerning research ethics. Academic Medicine 67: 769-775.
10) May C, Campbell S, Doyle H (1998) Research misconduct: A pilot study of British addiction researchers. Addiction Research 6: 371–373.
Alfred Rusell Wallace, precursor da teoria da evolução através da seleção natural, finalmente ganhou um site especial
Posted: 04 Oct 2012 07:29 AM PDT
Wallace Online is the first complete edition of the writings of naturalist and co-founder of the theory of evolution Alfred Russel Wallace. Including a comprehensive compilation of his specimens - much of it never before seen. The project is directed by John van Wyhe, assisted by Kees Rookmaaker, at the National University of Singapore, in collaboration with the Wallace Page by Charles H. Smith.
Quick links: Amazon, Sarawak law, Darwin-Wallace paper, Malay Archipelago, Darwinism, My Life, Letters and reminiscences.
Media coverage of the launch of Wallace Online here.
|You are subscribed to email updates from Desafiando a Nomenklatura Científica|
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.
|Email delivery powered by Google|
|Google Inc., 20 West Kinzie, Chicago IL USA 60610|